Why do a virtual photo shoot ?

behind the scenes photographer @tfneil

Behind the scenes of a virtual photoshoot @tfneil equipment   



Before the lockdown I modelled in various locations through out the country and some parts of Europe. I enjoyed working with lots of different creatives face to face and experiencing many different styles of shoots. Since the start of COVID 19 I was unsure of how I was going to work. Like many people in the creative industry I found my work had been cut completely and therefore the fear of the unknown had kicked in. A couple of weeks later a good photographer friend of mine (Weston Digital Imaging (http://westondigitalimaging.co.uk ) emailed me asking if I wanted to take part in a virtual photoshoot. I immediately jumped at the chance but I was still unsure how it would work. Plus the main bit of technology I had was my phone. How was I  going to make it work? 


My friend and I conducted a virtual recce over Facetime to ensure that we could hit the ground running as soon as the shoot commenced.  We worked out the locations with the best light source both inside and outside of the house. The virtual shoot was still unknown territory for me but I was excited to immerse myself in this new business venture.  So to explain how it works there are 2 options, both options are directed over Zoom sessions. 


Option 1 

The photographer uses their own camera taking pictures of the photoshoot displayed on their monitor. We found it best in this case to choose a room where the light is dimmed.



Option 2 

Take screen grabs of the preferred photoshoot  image on the screen Save the screen grabs otherwise you will the lose the image and repeat the process .






photo from virtual photoshoot photographer @tim_cullen2     


A few positives

The advantages of doing a virtual photoshoot is it helps combine the use of technology and creativity. These photoshoots are not about the traditional beauty shots, they are about creating texture and layers and different effects to the photos. It’s about using what technology you can use in your home, employing new techniques  and editing  to develop something new from it.

If you have not participated in photoshoots in a while then this is a great way for you to get back into your creative process and connect with models  that you want to work with. I was happily surprised to learn how I could connect with people internationally and how distance has no boundaries. My photoshoots have been with photographers  from all over, from Scotland  to Chicago.  

It has been absolutely amazing to see people so open to these new ideas. In traditional shoots it can be sometimes difficult to get to a location. In a virtual photoshoot this is not an issue because both photographer and model are shooting from the comfort of their own home.   

Another reason why virtual photoshoots are amazing to do is it ups your directional skills. Directing is important but underrated. It can make or break an image. It enables the photographer to say to the model exactly how to pose and where to move to. As you are both not in the same room verbal communication skills are very important.


Collaborative shooting

Group shoots are great in this instance because photographers can work together as one and then bounce ideas of each other. Each photographer  can also snap as many pictures as they want and not have to wait like  in the traditional format of a photoshoot.

Working one 2 one is also great because you can focus on that idea that you want to do. I have not only just participated in traditional  portrait photography I have worked with people that have artistic ideas and we have made these ideas come to life. Furthermore, you don‘t have to be a photographer to work on these virtual shoots.  I have been lucky enough to work with many different creatives, such as an artist, and this has given me opportunities to work in different ways.

Take alook at one example of how a virtual photoshoot is conducted by reading this additional blog.  

https://www.artconnect.com/profiles/tom-neill/projects/art-of-change-and-communication

Overview

From my point of view as a model  I have learnt so much about the practicalities of lighting. I have invested in a  LED ring light and I learnt how to angle it and how to get the best from it.  I have also  learnt so much about natural lighting, how you can get a completely different images at different times of day.


portrait from the virtual photo shoot

Photographer: @mnphotostudios 


Moving with the times

I completely understand  that this has been a hard time for everyone with this covid 19, and I would like to say that my support is with you.

However thinking of new creative ways to keep this industry alive is a great passion of mine. It has really helped me to find new ways of doing photoshoots.  Why don’t you embark on this journey to try new  ways  of doing what you love?



Bookings 

If you feel you are wanting to explore and experiment with these virtual photoshoots it would be great to work with you.

I am taking group shoots Monday, Wednesday and Friday

12:00-13:00 

13:30-14:30

15:00-16:00 

Also ask me about my 121 shoots

www.emmarossmodel.co.uk


Facebook icon

 Em Kathy model 

Instagram - Free social icons

em450

Comments